Dr. Wirrell is a Professor of Epilepsy and Child Neurology and Director of Pediatric Epilepsy at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. She is also a member of the Steering Committee of the Pediatric Epilepsy Research Consortium. She is particularly interested in early onset epilepsies such as Dravet syndrome. Her research focuses on the epidemiology and co-morbidities of epilepsy and on outcomes with various therapies.
1989 M.D. Honours, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, B.C.
1989-1993 Pediatrics Residency, IWK Hospital for Children, Halifax, Nova Scotia
1993-1996 Pediatric Neurology, Epilepsy Fellow, IWK Hospital for Children, Halifax, Nova Scotia
1. LD Hamiwka, EC Wirrell. Co-morbidities in Pediatric Epilepsy: Beyond “Just” Treating the Seizures. J Child Neurol. 2009;24 (6):734-42.
2. B Moseley*, K Nickels, J Britton, E Wirrell. How common is ictal hypoxemia and bradycardia in children with partial complex and generalized convulsive seizures? Epilepsia 2010;51:1219-24.
3. Wirrell EC, Grossardt BR, So EL, Nickels KC. A Population-Based Study of Long-term Outcomes of Cryptogenic Focal Epilepsy in Childhood: Cryptogenic Epilepsy is NOT Probably Symptomatic Epilepsy. Epilepsia 2011;52(4):738-45.
4. Wirrell EC. Grossardt BR, Wong-Kisiel L, Nickels KC. Incidence of New-Onset Epilepsy and Epilepsy Syndromes in Children in Rochester, Minnesota from 1980-2004: A population-based study. Epilepsy Research 2011;95:110-8.
5. Carranza Rojo, D, Hamiwka L, McMahon JM, Dibbens LM, Asrov T, Suls A, Bayly MA, Burke C, Stodberg T, Kelley K, Dalatycki M, Wirrell E, Appleton R , Mackay M, Freeman JL, Berkovic SF, Bienvenu T, De Jonghe P, Thorburn DR, Mulley JC, Mefford HC, Scheffer IE. Migrating partial seizures of infancy is uncommonly associated with SCN1A mutations. Neurology 2011;77:380-3.
6. AM Quek, JW Britton, A McKeon, E So, VA Lennon, C Shin, CJ Klein, RE Watson, AL Kotsenas, TD Lagerlund, GD Cascino, GA Worrell, EC Wirrell, KC Nickels, KP Wandinger, SJ Pittock. Autoimmune epilepsy: clinical characteristics and response to immunotherapy. Arch Neurol 2012;69(5):582-93.
7. E Wirrell, L Wong-Kisiel, J Mandrekar, K Nickels. Predictors and Course of Medically Intractable Epilepsy in Young Children Presenting Before 36 Months of Age: A Population-Based Study. Epilepsia 2012;53(9):1563-9.
8. KC Nickels, BR Grossardt, EC Wirrell. Epilepsy-related mortality is low in children: a 30 year population-based study in Olmsted County, MN. Epilepsia 2012;53:2164-71.
9. JC Mulley, B Hodgson, JM McMahon, X Iona, S Bellows, S Mullen, K Farrell, M Mackay, L Sadleir, A Bleasel, D Gill, R Webster, EC Wirrell, M Harbord, S Sisodiya, E Andermann, S Kivity, SF Berkovic, IE Scheffer, LM Dibbens. The role of the sodium channel SCN9A in GEFS+ and Dravet syndrome. Epilepsia 2013;54:.122-6.
10. E Wirrell, L Wong-Kisiel, J Mandrekar, K Nickels. What predicts enduring intractability in children who appear medically intractable in the first 2 years after diagnosis? Epilepsia, 2013;54:1056-64.
11. A Berg, K Nickels, E Wirrell, A Geerts, WF Arts, P Callenbach, C Rios, P Camfield, C Camfield. Mortality risks in new-onset childhood epilepsy. Pediatrics 2013;132:124-31.
12. E Wirrell, L Laux, DN Franz, J Sullivan, RP Saneto, RP Morse, O Devinsky, H Chugani, A Hernandez, L Hamiwka, MA Mikati, I Valencia, ME Le Guern, L Chancharme, M Sotero de Menezes. Stiripentol in Dravet syndrome: results of a retrospective US study. Epilepsia 2013;54:1595-604.
13. B Moseley, L Bateman, JJ Millichap, E Wirrell, CP Panayiotopoulos. Autonomic epileptic seizures, autonomic effects of seizures and SUDEP. Epilepsy Behav, 2013;26(3)375-85.
14. S Shull, G Diaz-Medina, S Eckert, L Wong-Kisiel, K Nickels, E Wirrell. Early efficacy of the ketogenic diet is not affected by initial body mass index percentile. Pediatric Neurol 2014;50:469-73.
15. E Wirrell, L Wong-Kisiel, K Nickels. Seizure outcome after AED failure in pediatric forcal epilepsy: impact of underlying etiology. Epilepsy Behav 2014;34:20-4.
Recent Book Chapters:
1. E Wirrell, CS Camfield, PR Camfield. Benign and Idiopathic Focal Epilepsies. In Epilepsy: Principles and Practice, 5th edition, E. Wyllie, G Cascino, B Gidal, H Goodkin (eds), Lippincott-Williams-Wilkins, 2010, pp 243-57.
2. K Nickels, E Wirrell. Symptomatic Generalized Epilepsy. In Adult Epilepsy: G Cascino, J Sirven, J Whelass (eds), John Wiley and Sons, West Sussex, UK, 2011.
3. K Nickels, E Wirrell. Pediatric Epilepsy Syndromes. Epilepsy Continuum Edition, American Academy of Neurology, 2010;16:57-85.
4. K Nickels, E Wirrell. Benign and Malignant Epilepsies in Children. Epilepsy “Neurology in Practice”, J Miller, H Goodkin, editors, 2014.